An artist from North Carolina who may respect what the Punisher was created for
Queen City News spoke with artist David Vandyke, who created a comic titled Mercer. What's interesting for starters is that:
In an era of digital art, he works by hand.He's got a great idea there. While it's always possible to turn out good art with computers, old-fashioned techniques still matter, and can still result in something to appreciate.
“I like the tactility of it, like I like feeling the paper,” Van Dyke said.
He draws a comic book series called Mercer, which he co-created with Jason Seibel.Whatever one thinks of the premise of Mercer, what Vandyke says here does seem to indicate he has respect for what the Punisher was created for, certainly far more than some of the leftists who messed up Frank Castle since the turn of the century, not the least being the late Gerry Conway himself.
“It’s basically if the Punisher was a demon hunter type thing,” he says.
Vandyke had a very terrible misfortune in the past 2 decades that influenced his decision to become an artist:
He has come far from the chilling conversation he had 21 years ago.I'm terribly sorry he suffered back injuries, and hope he's recovered as best as possible since. Taking up an artist's career is certainly a great way to make a comeback, and I wish him well in his new career.
“The doctor literally came into the room and said, ‘Your life as you know it is over,’” he remembers vividly.
Vandyke broke his back in 2005 while working as a mechanic in Gastonia.
“I heard a pop, and something moved out of the corner of my eye, and I just turned and caught it,” he said of a devastating shop accident. “It was like a 400-pound transmission—and I caught it at a dead stop—and it annihilated the bottom two discs in my back.”
That crushed his dream of a drumming career.
At the same time, he was almost in denial.
“This is my identity; this is everything I’m supposed to be. Like, what do you mean [doctor]?” said Vandyke.
But one night, he picked up a pencil and reinvented himself.
“Like before music, what did you want to be?” he asked himself.
The answer is a comic book artist.
Instead of dwelling on depression and anger, he practiced drawing as his body healed.
“You determine your story,” he says.
Labels: dc comics, history, indie publishers, marvel comics, Punisher, science, technology





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home